I’ve decided to try a new feature. I say try, because I know myself all too well. As a Libra I tend to go with my own flow so setting any new discipline for myself usually falls by the wayside. In my advancing decrepitude I’m learning to cut myself some slack, though. I spent too many years in the corporate workforce to allow my retirement to follow those old rules and regs concerning being a winner. I won already, ok? I made it through commuting, single parenting and climbing the ladder to come out relatively sane. All this is to say I may or may not continue this as a weekly feature. It depends on my mood, energy, and motivation. Here goes.
- TELEVISION: Anything about Roman history. I’ve almost memorized all the emperors in date order, although it gets a little fuzzy after Constantine. Last night a friend and I were talking about this and he asked me which emperors I preferred. I didn’t really know how to answer, because they all were a bit dickish, but I rather like Commodus, and I’ve always liked Claudius. Caligula was bad, but I think some of his bad press was propaganda, and I sort of feel sorry for Nero, probably because he never was emperor material, being a musician and poet. Might be why he cracked up in the end. I think he might have fared better if his barber had given him a better beard.
- FOOD: Sometimes a girl just has to have her black licorice. And not Twizzlers! Hate those. They do weird color changes to your, well, trust me. Certain things should NOT come out Nyquil green. Because our local grocery quit carrying Scottie Dogs, I have to resort to the Red Vines brand. I would buy Panda, but the local health food store went out of business.
- DRINK: Coke Zero. Because it’s too warm for wine and beer makes me feel bloated.
- MUSIC: Lately, I’ve been listening to a lot of 70s music, mostly the stuff that came out of Laurel Canyon.
- PC GAMES: Yes, I play them. Last week I was into building games (Ancient Rome 2 — go figure), but this week I’m liking match-3 games. Current favorite: Classic Jewel Quest. By the way the links point to a great place to download absolutely free, safe, full games.
- WASTE OF TIME: Daydreaming of just where I’d choose to live if someone offered to enable that for us. I confess I’m still rather hung up on Woodstock, NY, but I’m still dreaming of England. Last week I wanted to live in Wellington, New Zealand, but then I learned that country’s situated on two huge tectonic plates, and a “big one” is expected at anytime. There’s also tsunamis and volcanoes to consider, plus we’d never see anyone ever again so this week it’s a toss up between Woodstock and England.
We’ll see if I continue this silliness.
SK Waller is an author and composer. Books One and Two (With A Dream and With A Bullet) of her rock and roll series, Beyond The Bridge, takes places in late 70s London. Read more at SK Waller SKWaller.com.